Ankle fractures can develop by twisting injuries of ankle or direct fall or impact. These are bony injuries involving lower ends of leg bones (tibia & fibula).
- Difficulty in bearing weight
- Deformed ankle
- Open wound
Risk factors and Causes
It is usually caused by twisting injury of ankle but can be caused by direct impact.
- High impact sports
- Missed steps while walking
- X ray – most of fractures can be diagnosed by simple x ray in desired views
- MRI- may be needed to diagnose associated ligament injury
- CT scan – may be needed in few patients for diagnosis and surgical planning
Treatment depends on bones involved, type of fracture, severity of injury
- Immobilization in plaster – as a primary management it is done for most of ankle fractures. It minimizes pain, swelling and supports ankle
- Medicines for pain relief and swelling
- Plaster cast – can be done if stable and undisplaced fracture.
- Surgical intervention –depending on type of fracture surgical fixation is planned.